Name: Dr Marc Schut
Institute: Wageningen University and Research Centre
Department: Knowledge, Technology and Innovation Group
Address: Hollandseweg 1, 6706 KN Wageningen, Bode No.: 79, Room: 4013, the Netherlands
Mobile phone: +31 (0)641 029 028 (Netherlands)/ +255 688 218 981 (Tanzania)/ +229 966 202 85 (Benin)
Landline phone: +31 (0)317 484 635
Marc’s postdoctoral work focuses on understanding the institutional dynamics of parasitic weeds in smallholder rice production in Africa. Marc obtained his PhD in April 2012. His PhD-research focussed on studying the role of research in policy processes. He was involved as policy advisor in Mozambique, conducting research to support the development of a policy framework biofuel sustainability. He conducted fieldwork for the MSc thesis in Ecuador where he studied the contribution of Farmer Field Schools to paradigm shifts in crop protection and agricultural extension.
Major research areas/ expertise: Agricultural innovation systems analysis, interdisciplinary research, action-oriented research
In the PARASITE project:
Role in the project: Postdoctoral researcher
Subproject: 4 – Sociology and Innovation Systems
Project location: the Netherlands, Tanzania and Benin
Start of the project: 1 January 2012
Expected finish: 31 December 2014
Supervisor: Laurens Klerkx
Co-supervisors: Ton Rotteveel, Paul Van Mele, Gualbert Gbèhounou, Juma Kayeke, Louise Akanvou, Alfons Oude Lansink, Monique Mourits
- Schut, M., Rodenburg, J., Klerkx, L., van Ast, A., Bastiaans, L., 2014. Systems approaches to innovation in crop protection. A systematic literature review. Crop Prototection 56, 98-108.
- Schut, M., Leeuwis, C., van Paassen, A. Klerkx, L., 2014. Towards dynamic research configurations: A framework for reflection on the contribution of research to policy and innovation processes. Science and Public Policy 41, 207-218.
- Schut, M., Leeuwis, C., van Paassen, A., 2013. Ex ante scale dynamics analysis in the policy debate on sustainable biofuels in Mozambique. Ecology and Society 18, 16. [online] URL: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol18/iss11/art20/.
- Schut, M., Van Paassen, A., Leeuwis, C., 2013. Beyond the research-policy interface. Boundary arrangements at research-stakeholder interfaces in the policy debate on biofuel sustainability in Mozambique. Environmental Science & Policy 27(2013): 91-102.
- Klerkx, L., Schut, M., Leeuwis, C., Kilelu, C., 2012. Advances in knowledge brokering in the agricultural sector: towards innovation system facilitation. IDS Bulletin 43(5): 53-60.
- Sherwood, S., Schut, M., Leeuwis, C., 2012. Learning in the Social Wild: Encounters between Farmer Field Schools and Agricultural Science and Development in Ecuador, in: Ojha, H.R., Hall, A., Sulaiman, R. (Eds.), Adaptive Collaborative Approaches in Natural Resources Governance: Rethinking Participation, Learning and Innovation. Routledge, London, UK., pp. 102-137.
- Schut, M. (2012). Who cares about research?! A study on the role of research in policy processes in competing claims contexts. PhD-thesis, Communication and Innovation Studies. Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen.
- Schut, M., C. Leeuwis, A. van Paassen and A. Lerner (2011). Knowledge and innovation management in the policy debate on biofuel sustainability in Mozambique: what roles for researchers? Knowledge Management for Development Journal 7(1): 45-64.
- Schut, M., A. van Paassen, C. Leeuwis, S. Bos, W. Leonardo and A. Lerner (2011). Space for innovation for sustainable community-based biofuel production and use: lessons learned for policy from Nhambita community, Mozambique. Energy Policy 39(9): 5116-5128.
- Sherwood, S., M. Schut and C. Leeuwis (2011). Erosion of Farmer Field Schools in Ecuador. Politics of Agricultural Science and Development Practice. Research Into Use (RIU) Programme. Department for International Development, U.K. Available at: http://www.researchintouse.com/learning/learning23final.html.
- Schut, M., C. Leeuwis and A. van Paassen (2010). Room for the River – Room for Research? The case of depoldering De Noordwaard, the Netherlands. Science and Public Policy 37(8): 611-627.
- Schut, M., M. Slingerland and A. Locke (2010). Biofuel developments in Mozambique. Update and analysis of policy, potential and reality. Energy Policy 38(9): 5151-5165.